346: auntie meme
1. What time did you get up this morning?
2. Diamonds or pearls?
Diamonds are a girl’s best friend.
3. What was the last film you saw at the cinema?
Inside Deep Throat
5. What did you have for breakfast?
cigarette, grapefruit juice on the rocks.
6. What is your middle name?
[Redacted] – no identity theft, please!
7. What is your favorite cuisine?
Right now, Indian
8. What foods do you dislike?
New York City public school system.
9. What kind of car do you drive?
10. Favorite sandwich?
Grilled cheese at Cafe Atwood, anything from the French Laundry in Fenton, MI or (if we’re being completely honest) Underwood liverwurst spread on white toast
11. What characteristic do you despise?
12. Favorite item of clothing?
Right now, the orchid pink Puma Speed Cats on my feet.
14. What color is your bathroom?
Walls are dark gray, floor is white tile, fixtures are white, and everything else (shower curtain, bath mats, towels) are striped (blue, pink, yellow, red, green, orange).
15. Favorite brand of clothing?
H&M; Puma (lurve the shoes); Anya Hindmarch (love the bags); Marc Jacobs; Chloé by Stella (though Chloé by Phoebe isn’t so bad, either)
16. Where would you like to retire?
Belle Harbor in summer, Los Angeles and Okinawa in winter with extended jaunts to the ancestral homestead (okay, it’s just a house, but it’s pretty big) in Quezon City.
17. Favorite time of the day?
18. What was your most memorable birthday?
a. 10 years old (parent throw big party, dad’s friends get in drunken fistfight over card game)
b. 16 (sister goes missing over weekend, making my Alan & Linda — I spent 10th grade in a foster home then living with Kim’s dad and stepmom — crazy with worry)
c. 18 (Kim missed my birthday so I spent the day by myself, wandering around the Village, going to the movies to see “Four Weddings and A Funeral”, and eating all manner of soy products at Dojo)
d. 21 (Easter Sunday, first day back from spring break, nobody was around to celebrate except Kevin who got on the drunk van with me so we could speed to Jimmy’s for my first legal beer, which was minutes before last call)
19. Where were you born?
Quezon City, Philippines
20. Favorite sport to watch?
Whichever one has the hottest guys.
21. What are you wearing right now?
black t-shirt, black pants, pink pashmina (I’m not cold, just wanting something soft against my cheek), the aforementioned orchid Speed Cats, dangly beaded earrings (last year’s birthday gift from the Bauman-Goldbergs), and the Until There’s A Cure cuff I’ve worn on my left wrist for the last twelve years.
22. What star sign are you?
23. What fabric detergent do you use?
24. Pepsi or Coke?
Regular Coke, preferably in one of those classic Coca-Cola glasses with a red and white striped straw.
25. Are you a morning person or a night owl?
26. What is your shoe size?
27. Do you have any pets?
Does my cardboard bonsai tree count?
28. Any new exciting news you’d like to share with your family and
I won a $25 gift certificate from Hubba-Hubba, my favorite girly boutique in Wrigleyville.
29. What did you want to be when you were little?
Famous writer/secret agent for the CIA.
31. What is your favorite quality about yourself?
Sense of humor.
32. What is your favorite ice cream flavor?
33. What is your favorite CD at the moment?
Assorted soundtracks: “Me Without You”, “Superfly”, “First Love, Last Rites”.
34. Best compliment you ever got?
“You give the best hugs.”
35. Are you superstitious?
36. Favorite thing to cook/make?
Brownies; roast chicken (all that basting counts as aerobic exercise, yeah?); adobo; anything that requires the use of a torch (last year’s birthday present from Khloé & Jeff)
37. Favorite quote?
“Hey, I don’t go to where you work and slap the dick out of your mouth!”
38. Favorite movie?
Peyton Place, Black Narcissus, Tampopo, Women on the verge of a nervous breakdown, Metropolitan, Eat Drink Man Woman.
39. Favorite book? Persuasion; The Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4.
40. Hardest lesson ever learned?
He’s just not that into you.
41. Something you would recommend to everyone to do at least once?
Eat the molten chocolate souffle at Roy’s.
“We walk together in the gardens most evenings, and it sometimes seems to me there’s a look in her eye.”
The Rolling Stones – Can’t You Hear Me Knocking; Jennifer Lopez – Get Right; Neneh Cherry – Buffalo Stance; Lyn Collins – Think (About It); Rob Base & DJ EZ-Rock – It Takes Two; Unkle – Be There